NUR3846 Foundations Summer 2021
Background: Telehealth is defined as a collection of means or methods for enhancing healthcare, public health and health education delivery and support using telecommunications technology (Telehealth Resource Centers, 2016). Telehealth technologies include live video conferencing, store and forward remote patient monitoring, and mobile health (mHealth) devices. The main reason for the emergence of telehealth use is to provide equitable access to healthcare and education for those who live and work in remote areas, where these provisions have been clearly established to be insufficient. Environmental changes have made Telehealth a mainstream approach to education and healthcare due to the covid-19 pandemic.
Changes in the way that health care is delivered during this pandemic are needed to reduce staff exposure to ill persons, preserve personal protective equipment (PPE), and minimize the impact of patient surges on facilities. Healthcare systems have had to adjust the way they triage, evaluate, and care for patients using methods that do not rely on in-person services. Telehealth services help provide necessary care to patients while minimizing the transmission risk of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to healthcare personnel (HCP) and patients (CDC, 2020).
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to comply with the Essentials of Baccalaureate Nursing Practice Essential IV: Information Management & Application of Patient Care Technology by addressing some of the technological competencies that are needed. The technology competencies that students are expected to have at the time of graduation include use of “applications of patient care technologies that are mainly described as monitors, data gathering devices, or other supports for patient care interventions” (AACN, 2008, p. 17), as well as the following: 1. Demonstrate skills in using patient care technology, information systems, and communication devices to support safe nursing practice. 2. Use telecommunication technologies to assist in effective communication in a variety of healthcare settings. 3. Apply patient care technologies as appropriate to address needs of a diverse patient population AACN,
Read chapter15 King’s theory of goal attainment and associated articles
1. Background: give brief history of telehealth. Retrieve institution’s telehealth policy and interpret and explain the policy that you will apply to.
2. Define your work setting, role, and responsibilities, focus of care and desired outcomes and correlate with the 4 concepts of the nursing metaparadigm (environment, patient/client, nursing, and health). Review your job description
3. Identify nursing interventions and applications of patient care technologies utilized in you HCS (healthcare system).
4. list nursing theories that apply or influence your educational tool and correlate with the 4 concepts of the nursing metaparadigm. (be able to discuss at time of presentation).
5. State your goal and at least 3 SMART objectives for this assignment.
6. Create an authentic educational tool such as a care plan, triage algorithm, discharge plan, etc. that correlates with the nursing process (ADPIE). It should be customized for your target population and setting, engaging or interactive and measurable and include patient care technology
7. List your goal and at least 3 SMART objectives for this educational tool.
8. Identify and/or demonstrate skills in using patient care technology, information systems, and communication devices to support safe nursing practice.
9. Use telecommunication technologies to assist in effective communication in a variety of healthcare settings such as monitors, data gathering devices, or other supports for patient care interventions as appropriate to address needs of a diverse patient population.
10. Include an evaluation tool to measure effectiveness and generate data (pre & post-test, Likert scale, graph etc.).
11. Use choice of visual presentation tool (sway, power point, Prezi, etc.) however all presentations require a title page, background, goal, SMART objectives content, evaluation, summary conclusion & reflection (See Power point format PPT on Blackboard).
12. APA compliant, <20% copy match, 12-15 slides with citation & reference page.
Telehealth Assignment Rubric
|Title page, goal & SMART objective & background||Lacking in three or part of three or more components||Lacking in two or part of two components||Lacking in one or part of one component||Compliant with all components|
|ADPIE, in algorithm, care plan, model etc.||Lacking in three or part of three or more components||Lacking in two or part of two components||Lacking in one or part of one component||Compliant in all components|
|Evaluation tool and generates data||Lacks evaluation tool and ability to generate data||Lacks an evaluation tool but generates data||Tool lacks measurability but generates data||Compliant with a measurable evaluation tool|
|Relevant theories and nursing metaparadigm concepts||No theories listed and no more than one concept||List at least 1 theory and 2 concepts||List 2 theories and 3 concepts||List 3 or more theories and 4 concepts|
|Summary conclusion & reflection||Without summary conclusion or reflection||Reflection without summary conclusion||Well defined summary conclusion without reflection||Well defined summary conclusion & reflection|
|APA & presentation format||>7||>5||5||5>|
|Grammar typo & spelling errors||>7||>5||5||5>|
CDC, (2020). Using telehealth to expand access to essential health services during the COVID-19