Can a health care practitioner ‘coerce or mandate’ someone to engage or be admitted into an alcohol and other drugs (AOD) service or mental health facility or program?
You are required to answer all ten of the following questions. Please ensure that you adhere to academic conventions (such as APA references, paraphrasing, accurate grammar/spelling etc).
- Australia’s legal system requires health care clinicians to operate within a ‘least restrictive’ framework. Discuss where this approach is evident in the legislation in your state. You will need to name the legislation you refer to in your answer.
- Steve is a 22-year-old man who has attended an appointment with his case manager. Steve is looking gaunt and dishevelled. His clothes are crumpled, and he is malodourous. He is barefoot and the mental health nurse notices his feet are bleeding. Steve is worried about the ‘people’ who are following him. He is certain that they want to harm him if he doesn’t agree to work for them to bring about the downfall of Great Britain. He finds it difficult to maintain eye contact, is restless and appears distracted at times. List the parts of an MSE and complete any sections you can with the data from the above case study.
- While anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are both eating disorders, how do their symptoms differ? Males are increasingly being diagnosed with eating disorders; however, it is understood that this number is likely underrepresented. What are some of the possible reasons for this?
- A student peer asks you to explain the main principles of trauma-informed practice to them. Outline your answer.
- John is a 75-year-old man experiencing an episode of depression and he is currently being treated on fluoxetine 40 mg by his local GP. John lost his spouse to cancer six months ago and is finding it difficult to cope with this loss. Explain the difference between grief and depression. What drug classification does fluoxetine belong to, and what are the common side effects associated with this drug.
- A young consumer’s parent asks you about the difference between self-injury and suicide. How would you explain the difference to them and include some of the reasons people engage in self-injurious behaviour?
- What education should the mental health nurse provide to a consumer who has been prescribed benzodiazepine for the treatment of their anxiety disorder?
- Fred has described increasing his alcohol consumption over the past six months. This is not an uncommon co-occurring factor for people experiencing depression. What actions should the registered nurse undertake if they are concerned about possible alcohol withdrawal for a consumer admitted to an inpatient unit?
- Hypomania is a common symptom in bipolar disorders. How does hypomania differ from mania? How would you help a consumer prevent relapse of mania?
- Can a health care practitioner ‘coerce or mandate’ someone to engage or be admitted into an alcohol and other drugs (AOD) service or mental health facility or program? If so, under what circumstance? And If not, why?