Assignment: Part 1: Basic Math
Assignment: Part 1: Basic Math
Want create site? With Free visual composer you can do it easy.
Compute the following averages: a. Ten patients were discharged yesterday. TWo of these discharged patients were hospitalized
3 days, two were hospitalized 4 days, and the restwere in for 5,7,8,1,9, and 2 days, respectively. What was the average number of hospitalized days for this group-correct to one decimal place?
b. During the past week, the following number of cases of measles were reported statewide each day:7 ,5, 12, 18, 22, 14,9. What was the daily average-correct to one decimal place?
c. A hospital reports the following number of autopsies performed each month by the hospital pathologist: 10, 9, 12, 12,7 , 14, 8, 11,9, ’11, 13,7 . What was the average number performed monthly-correct to the nearest whole number?
Round to two decimal places:2.
3, Round to the nearest whole number:
a. 40.636 b. 40.666 c. 40.699
a. 40.499 b. 70.555 c. 67.9
5. Convert to a a. 60:80 b. 215 c, 0.03
d. 10.999 e. 18.555 f. 0.095
d. 7,770.4 e. 0.5 f . 55.5
d. 0.66 e. 1.08 f. 718
4. Round to the nearest a. hundred 4,455 b. tenth 4.657 c. thousandth 0.0055 d. million 4,500,000
e. hundredth 63.895 f. ten 77.499 g. thousan d 87 ,485.7
s. 6/50 h. 6:9
percentage-correct to one decimal place:
Convert to the lowest fraction: a. 60/100 d. 33/99 b. e0% e. 10% c. 35/65 f. 5:100 Convert to a decimal-correct to two decimal places:
d. 73% e. 10:90 f. 4outof4
a. b, c.
1112 2115 45/65
O2008 Delmar, Cengage l-earning. A1l rights reserved.
60 Basic Allied Health Statistics and Analysis
8. Given the following rate, ratio, or proportion, determine the decimal equivalent and the correspc*,: : percentage.
Rate/Ratio/Proportion Decimal Equivalent _ Percentage a. 2/100 b. 6125 c. 15:84 d. 360/900
9, Given the following percentages, determine the corresponding decimal equivalent and ratio.
Percentage Decimal Equivalent Ratio a. 83.33% b. 87.5% c. 66.67% d. 40% e. 0.50% f. 0.025%
10, Compute the following-correct to the nearest whole number. a. lf 6 out of 10 patients admitted to the hospital a re discharged in th ree days or less, how ma ny, r-.- ‘
of 12,689 recorded admissions were hospitalized over three days? b. A hospital discharged 2,895 patients in January. lf 3% developed a hospital-based infection, h,:.+
many were affected? c. A hospital reported 14,444 discharges during the past year. lf 35Y. of these patients were seen ir-
consultation, how many discharged patients were seen by a consultant?
Pafi2: HIM Applications
1. Thebasepayforadepartmentaltranscriptionistis$l0anhourforthefirstl,000linesof transcrip:-:- per day. What is the annual cost per line for the 1,000 lines transcribed-correct to the nearest cen:,’
2. Additional lines(over1,000 lines) oftranscriptionarepaidatanadditional rateof onecentperline ; ‘ transcriptionist averages 1,200 lines per day, what is the transcriptionist’s annual salary?
3. A new employee is paid $14.50 an hour. A performance evaluation is completed atthe end of the.,:=” and it is determined that the employee should receive a3″5% ralse. What will be the new hourly nal:-
4. lf the average record is one-half-inch thick: a. How many records will a shelf-filing system accommodate if each unit of a A-unit system has
=shelves and holds 35 inches of filed charts? b. lf 2 additional units are purchased, how many charts can be filed? c. lf the average record is 3/4 inch thick, how many records will the original 4 units hold?
5. A file room contains 1,720 charts. The department decides to purge 300 charts for digitizing. There are 5 units of 5 shelves each, with each shelf holding 3.5 inches, and the average record is one-ha’i inch thick.
a. How many inches of shelf space is still available prior to purging? b. How much shelf space (in inches) will be available subsequent to purging? c. Approximately how many one-half-inch charts will fit in the open shelf space after the purge?
02008 Delmar, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.
I MathematicalReview 61
I O. A department needs new equipnnent. The manager receives the following bids from four different ven-I dors. The bids are as follows: Vendor Cost Discount
r a. What would be the final cost for each proposal? I O. Which vendor offers the best deal? t
7, A department leases a scanner at a cost of $1,700 per quarter and three copy machines for $60 per month each. How much must be budgeted for this equipment on an annual basis?
8. The annual budget includes the following items: Office supplies and postage: $2,800 Outsourced staffing: $1 5,350 Travel and conference fees: $3,660 Maintenance contracts: $1,990
Determine the percentage of the total costs bLrdgeted fo!’ each expense.
9. During the first half of the year, 686 patients were admitted to the cardiovascular care unit. Of these, 79 were readmissions. What percentage were readmitted?
10. The HIM department has two experienced coders and two coders with training but without experience. The hourly pay for the experienced coders is $15 an hour, and for the inexperienced coders, the hourly pay is $12. What is the annual salary for each level of coding?
e2008 Deimar, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.